How to Apply for Wellington Tongarewa International Scholarship (New Zealan) – The Tongarewa Scholarships celebrate the University’s commitment to our international student community. We award a range of these scholarships to international students each year. This is a partial fee-based scholarship guide that will go towards tuition fees for one year of study.
Applicants can be either entering their first year of an undergraduate degree or entering a postgraduate degree programme at Victoria University of Wellington.
Benefits of the scholarship
Scholarships are awarded competitively on the basis of academic excellence. They apply to study in the year following application and will be credited to tuition fees.
Shortlisted candidates may be requested to provide additional information to support their application.
Recipients of these scholarships are guaranteed an offer of a place in one of our Halls of Residence, provided an
accommodation application is received by University Accommodation Wellington by their deadline. Scholarship award value is $5,000 or $10,000.
Applicants must be:
- international students who are paying full international fees
- entering their first year of an undergraduate degree or entering a postgraduate degree.
You are not eligible for this scholarship if you:
- completed your secondary education at a New Zealand school
- completed the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) or Foundation Studies Programme
- are a Study Abroad or Twinning student from one of our overseas partner universities
- are in your second year of study in the same degree programme at Victoria University of Wellington.
Interview Date and Venue
Selection will be made by a panel made up of appropriate Wellington University International staff.
These scholarships are for partial fees. These scholarships will be credited to tuition fees after the final withdrawal
date for the courses of the trimester the recipient(s) have been awarded for (roughly two weeks in to the trimester).
Documents Required for Application
The following documentation must be provided as part of your online scholarship application:
- a personal statement of up to 500 words outlining why you wish to study at Victoria University of Wellington, your academic goals and why you merit the scholarship. You should also include any leadership positions and details of your involvement in your school or community
- full transcripts and other documentation relevant to the qualification type
- an offer of place from Victoria University of Wellington (conditional or unconditional).
How To Apply
- Interested and qualified? Go to Victoria University of Wellington on wellingtonscholarships.communityforce.com to apply
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date.
Apply online for a Tongarewa Scholarship for Trimester 3, 2023 by 1st September.
For more information visit: VUW website on https://www.wgtn.ac.nz/scholarships/current/tongarewa-scholarship